...and I'm a fiction addict. It's true. Once I pick up a book, I hardly put it down to feed my children until I've finished it. I just have to find out how it all ends. Usually I try to feed my addiction with good literature but even if it's a trashy, poorly written book I still have to read the whole thing. I know my weaknesses, so I avoid the library for months. But inevitably the craving catches up to me and I binge on a couple of books and several days of reality oblivion. Ah, the sweet oblivion... Lately I've been immersed in the third of Terry Pratchet's "Tiffany Aching" books, Wintersmith. A very good read, it's funny, clever and yet profound just like the first two. I find it fascinating how well the author captures the culture of domestic women among his witch characters. Luckily, the book only lasted me about 24 hours and now I can get back to such mundane things as laundry, housework, and sleeping.
Thursday, November 29, 2007
Hello, my name is Elly...
...and I'm a fiction addict. It's true. Once I pick up a book, I hardly put it down to feed my children until I've finished it. I just have to find out how it all ends. Usually I try to feed my addiction with good literature but even if it's a trashy, poorly written book I still have to read the whole thing. I know my weaknesses, so I avoid the library for months. But inevitably the craving catches up to me and I binge on a couple of books and several days of reality oblivion. Ah, the sweet oblivion... Lately I've been immersed in the third of Terry Pratchet's "Tiffany Aching" books, Wintersmith. A very good read, it's funny, clever and yet profound just like the first two. I find it fascinating how well the author captures the culture of domestic women among his witch characters. Luckily, the book only lasted me about 24 hours and now I can get back to such mundane things as laundry, housework, and sleeping.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
What a coincidence, Elly! Our next selection in our little book club here is the Wee Free Men! We're supposed to be reading it right now and I have been a little hesitant. I am not much for fantasy, but people keep telling me this series is different. I suppose I should head to the library this week and get started on it.
I bet you have already read this series so far, but it's the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer. I was addicted!
I've got the same problem. I'm having a lot of fun with goodreads.com (you get to see which books all your friends have read, and what they liked):
http://www.goodreads.com/friend/i?i=LTM2MDY4MDgyODU6MzE3%0A
Post a Comment