Friday, February 15, 2008

Our Own Holiday

I'm just not a sentimental person. I tend to throw away keepsakes and trophies and old high school T-shirts that most people horde in storage boxes forever. I prefer practical gifts like Kitchen Aids and trees over jewelry. And I just don't get the hype about Valentine's Day.

I mean, I think it's a nice day to show someone you love them. And it's really cute when a certain second-grader gets a Valentine from a girl--I mean enemy--on the bus... But I don't need flowers and chocolate to feel secure in my relationship with my hubby. Ok, I really like flowers and chocolate--but they don't have to come on Valentine's Day to be special.

So we celebrate The Day After Valentine's Day. (Flowers are cheap...and so is the good chocolate.)

We decided last year to make it an official holiday--I don't remember why. And then Brian forgot about it. How can you forget The Day After Valentine's Day? You have a whole extra day to remember! That's half the point of it! So he got in trouble for that one. But this year, he's been building it up all week. Yesterday, he wished me a Happy Day Before the Day After Valentine's Day!

Today I have a beautiful bouquet of roses on my kitchen counter, two yummy boxes of chocolate, and I feel very loved--not because Brian bought me stuff but because he knows how much I like flowers...and chocolate.

So maybe I'm a little sentimental after all...

And now he's cursing me for the Cherry Cheesecake I made him. Hehehe.

Happy Day After Valentine's Day!

4 comments:

Tori said...

I am the same with gifts. How can we not be considering the family we came from? I guess those flashlight, socks, and tool presents ended up having quite an effect on us, huh? (Thanks, Dad! :) I gave Ry some pillows for V-day because we desperately needed new ones. I guess that is somewhat romantic...? BTW I love the day after idea. I meant to go shopping for the deals yesterday, but I never got around to it. And I love that you post so much. AND I can't wait to see you and your big belly in a few days! I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for the weather...

katharine said...

what ever happened to socks and underwear? the best gifts ever are things you really need :) (but i'm not asking for nursing bras for valentines day)

Anonymous said...

I think the interest in practical gifts runs in the family. I asked for an iron for Christmas!

Claire Roach said...

Okay, I talked to John and we're copying you. The Day After Valentines Day is an official holiday in the Roach household from here on out-thanks for the inspiration. Can Brian just give John a little reminder or two next year? :) I really like the paint in your girls' bedroom-love the top-and-bottom two-tone look.