Monday, December 22, 2008

Last Minute Wish Lists

Matthew has suddenly come up with a long list of items that he wants for Christmas. And he's upset because he never got to tell it to Santa and now he thinks he won't get any of it. And he's right.

I tried to remind him that Christmas is about baby Jesus and giving, and he can be grateful and happy for the presents he does receive because other people find a lot of joy in getting them for him. But it didn't seem to do much good. He just couldn't get over how tragic it was that Santa doesn't know how much he wants that remote control helicopter he saw in a commercial. (Thanks a lot, TV.) Should I tell him that Santa knows how much he wants that helicopter and that it won't be in his Christmas stocking because a) he asked way too late for a mail-order toy for Christmas and b) it's a silly toy that costs way too much and will not be as cool as it looks in the commercial and will probably break in the first week he has it just like his remote control airplane? Or how about c) you don't always get everything you want, so d) stop being so materialistic and greedy and be grateful for what you get.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a love/hate relationship with Santa too...and commercials. Just tell him Santa saw all the gifts he already had and probably decided to give that helicopter to a little boy who doesn't have any toys at all. I may have some coal lying around here if that doesn't work!

Shawn said...

I always tell Aydan that if he got too many presents, there wouldn't be enough to go around to all the other boys in the world---think about how many there are!

It seems to work... :) Sometimes...

Tori said...

the answer is: e) all of the above. :)

Anonymous said...

Actually, I saw the remote control helicopters at the mall. They are really cool. I think you should go to the mall as soon as you can and buy it for him. Otherwise he will be scarred for life.