Saturday, February 28, 2009

A Public Commitment

I'm done.

I'm sick of reaching the end of a day and--looking around at the dirty dishes, piles of laundry, and just plain messy house--vaguely wondering how I spent the last 12 hours.

I've had it with complaints from my children, my husband, and my soul that I don't spend enough time with them.

I'm sick and tired of waking up exhausted before I even get out of bed in the morning.

I'm moving forward.

I'm taking control of my life.

I'm organizing my life into routines that provide rhythm as well as momentum to my daily activities.

I'm setting aside time to play and read with my children.

I'm making time to spend with my husband.

I'm finding time for ME--to exercise, study and quietly meditate, pursue hobbies, and connect with friends.

I'm going to get those dishes done, that laundry back in the drawers, and those messes picked up.

I'm going to stop procrastinating, focus on the task at hand, and prioritize.

This is my life.

I'm going to live it.

(Probably, it can't be done. But I'm going to at least try.)

10 comments:

Mama Williams said...

YOU GO ELLY! YOU CAN DO IT!! (just don't forget to get the family to help you...training them takes time, but is so worth it down the road.) You'll be a better woman for it, but I'm sure you're already doing that. :)
BTW cute blog!

Ronda said...

I guess we won't be making any book suggestions fo ryou in the next little while. :)

Jon and Jacque said...

You are not alone in this effort... we are all trying to do better in all the areas you mentioned I think... good luck!

Anonymous said...

I remember after having my first child and getting so down on myself after 6 months that I wasn't back to doing everything again. My very wise friend told me that if she's back and going before her baby is a year, she considers herself doing very well! That made me be not so hard on myself after that (and after every other baby). I think you're just amazing, and can't stress that enough!

Tiffany said...

I'm in that same boat! But I don't know if I'm ready to make it a public commitment yet. =) LOL. Let me know how it goes and how you get it all done. Then maybe I'll try it if I have your outline to follow!

katharine said...

baby steps! (have you checked out flylady.com?) you don't have to do it all at once, when i try that i fall off the wagon.. however, good luck!

Elly said...

I published this post and immediately went and joined flylady. I did it several years ago and it was the only time I've ever kept my life in any sort of order. I quit as sort of a gift to Brian because he hated it, but while I've tried to keep up the habits and cleaning schedules, it all just slowly fell through over the years. I've decided it's like excersizing for me, I won't do it unless I have group support. So, I've got my shoes on and I'm going to go scrub out my kitchen sink. I'll keep you posted on my progress occasionally.

Jon and Jacque said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tori said...

You are too hard on yourself, lady. Really. But good luck anyway, I'm interested to see what happens next!

Emily said...

Way to go Elly. I've been feeling the same and I'm slowing training my kids to help and it's made a huge difference and I can't believe how much Mark (7) and Emma(5) can do. They didn't like it at first, but now they actually look forward to it and it was so worth it! Good luck. It does feel so good to see progress at the end of the day.