Tuesday, January 18, 2011

How Projects Go At Our House - Chapter 1

A few weeks ago, Brian and I attempted to hang a small coat rack in our entry way. I carefully measured and marked the perfect spot for it right below the new mirror we had just hung - not too low, not too high...just right.

We have those fasteners that you hammer into the wall and then tighten the screw in order to pull the back support up against the wall from the inside, and, supposedly, it makes a nice sturdy place to hang your stuff.

So, Brian hammered the fasteners into the wall but one of them malfunctioned and instead of tightening up against the wall, just spun around and around and around. We finally had to punch both fasteners into the wall, fill the gaping half-inch holes with putty, and I had to figure out how to measure and mark a new place to hang the coat rack that would still look decent with the mirror but wouldn't fall off the wall as soon as you hung up your coat (thanks to a now holey wall.)

I was not a happy measurer.

You would think we would've learned our lesson...

This weekend, we tried to hang a gorgeous starburst mirror we received as a Christmas gift. I carefully measured the perfect spots for the fasteners. Then I watched as Brian hammered in the fasteners and tightened the first screw without incident. But as he was unscrewing the screw from the second fastener - so it would poke out from the wall to hold the mirror - all of the sudden the fastener sunk into the wall. And there was a big half-inch gaping hole in the wall at the end of the power drill.

Brian got this funny look on his face, very slowly put down the power drill, and turned and ran away!

Oh, I laughed so hard.

He ended up rigging some sort of hanging device in the gaping hole with various pieces of random hardware and the mirror finally went up on the wall. It looks great, but if you come over to our house, please don't slam any doors...

1 comment:

Sarbear said...

I love that mirror!