Monday, November 19, 2007

Is it good fire safety to lock a child in her room?

Yesterday, Maggie discovered how to use a door knob. Having already put off her bedtime through her various artless devices, Brian and I finally got her tucked in bed at about 10:30. As we were going to bed, she kept popping in and out of our room. We'd hear her bedroom door open and shut, pitter-patter pitter-patter little feet down the hall, our door would slowly open, and there would be Maggie standing with a big grin on her face.

"Maggie, go to bed," we said, not so nicely.

"Okay," her little voice would reply.

Click went our door, pitter-patter went the little feet more quickly this time, open and shut went her door...not a minute later we'd hear her door open and shut, the little feet, and our door would mysteriously swing open again. This happened--I can't even tell you how many times. Brian and I were nodding off to sleep at 11:30 when I heard her thumping around in the kitchen downstairs. Next thing I know, she's next to me asking for a snack--I guess she couldn't find one herself. She did manage to lose her blanket ("meen" as she calls it) in the process and was wandering around starting to cry as she searched for it. I finally dragged myself out of bed, located her blanket in front of a window in the family room (???), and tucked her back in bed. She actually stayed this time--now that it was nearly midnight--or maybe I just didn't hear her get up again because I was sound asleep.

Needless to say, nap time is not going so well today. After 5 out-of-bed appearances in the last 10 minutes, I think I'm giving up.

1 comment:

Hailey said...

Oh wow--this is my least favorite part of the toddler invasion years. Good luck! Your house is beautiful and I can't wait to see it! And CONGRATS on another girl! We love girls over here...