Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Paradise Island, Bahamas

Brian and I just got back from a four-night stay in the Bahamas, thanks to his company who sends the top sales people on fantastic tropical vacations every year. (I missed last year's Mexico trip, remember?)

This year's trip was absolutely wonderful: the sunshine, the warmth, the ocean, the sleeping-in and lazing-around... Yum. We didn't want to come home. Actually, we wanted to come home, pick up our baby Becca who we were missing very much, and go straight back to the islands. But here we are with all the kids (who we also love and missed...they're just a lot of work) and the messes and the laundry and the responsibilities...and I think I'm just going to take a minute to remember our lovely peaceful vacation and the warm, warm sunshine...


The resort we stayed at, called Atlantis. It was really, really nice (and expensive, the food and everything else was outrageously priced! We were glad we weren't paying for it.) Our room was just below the arch and to the right.

The next few pictures show the view from our balcony. This is the entrance to the Royal Towers where we were staying at Atlantis and the marina (which was full of huge yachts). Those colorful townhouses are timeshare condos.

This is one of two bridges to Paradise Island from the mainland, Nassau. Bus and taxi rides were really crazy because, having once belonged to Great Britain, they drove on the wrong side of the road and you were never sure exactly what traffic laws anyone was following...if any. The people were wonderfully friendly, though, and were very proud of their independence from the British in 1973--I heard that date repeated at least once a day.

Looking out at the capitol of the Bahamas: Nassau.

In the background, you can see a cruise ship docked at Nassau and the end of the island where Nicolas Cage lives (Oprah and several other celebrities live at the other end of the island). In the middle of this view is the dolphin cay where Atlantis guests (for an astronomical fee) can touch and swim with dolphins. It was fun to just watch them jump and play from our balcony.


Besides the beach (which was sooooo much fun), Atlantis is sort of a large water park and aquarium, too. We rode the Current (a mile-long lazy river with big waves and rapids) at least once a day. It's a lot more fun to work on your tan floating in an inner tube than laying out on a stationary lawn chair, we decided.

In spite of everything there was to do at Atlantis, we did manage to get dressed in real clothes every once in awhile and visit the mainland. This is me riding the ferry.

The infamous straw market. We spent a whole lot of money here...and time. It just so much fun bartering down the stall owners for their tourist junk wares.


Kyle Brown (who works with Brian and also won the trip) and his wife Maveny hung out with us a lot. I think they loved the straw market more than we did.

Here we are on the pier at Nassau, with the tail end of Paradise Island across the water behind us. Oh Bahamas, we miss you already!

11 comments:

Jon and Jacque said...

Looks fantastic! Glad you guys had a great time and escaped the snowy Utah weather!

Tori said...

Yay! I have been wanting to hear about your trip. It looks and sounds like you had exactly what you have been needing/deserving for a very long time! It's fun to see all the pics, too, because it brings me back to our trip there. I'm glad you had such a great time - and it looks like your curse of bad weather didn't follow you! Haha.

katharine said...

wow! how nice. Glad you got to get away for a few days, hope you came back rejuvinated. it would be good for me to miss my kids!

Tiffany said...

I'm so jealous! I wish I could win a trip to somewhere exotic like that! Looks like you had a ton of fun! I'm ready for a break from my kids too, but unfortunately I'm just going to make it worse instead by adding another child to the mix in a month or so!

Mom n Pop Wilson said...

Beautiful! I'm so glad you got that chance to relax and enjoy the warm sunshine. You certainly deserved it!

Shawn said...

Where were the kids during all this?

What a wonderful trip! I am super jealous...
Glad you got away, though.

Mama Williams said...

Oooo the envy! I am so happy for you both! Really, What a well deserved get away. I'm glad you enjoyed it and soaked it all in. Can't wait to see all the stuff you bought.

Marti Hawker said...

AWWWWW, it looks like you had a nice time, I am feeling the warm vibes already!

Elly said...

My parents came and watched the kids for the first few days and then Brian's parents took the remaining time with them. Our kids (especially the girls) can be pretty high-maintenance and we didn't want to wear out only one set of grandparents. :)

Emily said...

Heaven!

Anonymous said...

That looks SO nice. Without the kids, I'm surprised you came back (I would've definitely stayed!)