Wednesday, April 2, 2008

No Room at the Inn...

So I'm scheduled to be induced into labor today. According to my doctor, everything's ready to go--the baby's on the "petite side of normal" he says but we're as ready as we're going to get if we want to avoid a mad dash to the hospital (thanks to my history of short labor).

But there's a hitch in the plan. I called the hospital last night to find out what time to expect to go in today and guess what? I'm ninth on the list. Yes, ninth on the list of women being induced today. That doesn't count the women who may have come in through the night already in labor. I was told there wasn't much chance of being induced today--maybe if all the other babies can be delivered really quickly they'll squeeze me in. I'm supposed to call at 11:00 this morning to find out.

Nice.

So, maybe we'll have a baby today...and maybe we won't. Maybe I'll just go into labor naturally and then they'll have to admit me. That'd show them.

2:30 update: There is, quite literally, no room at the hospital. They don't even have enough beds for the women who are in labor right now. So they've canceled all elective inductions--that's me--for today. The best my doctor can do is schedule an induction for Sunday afternoon between sessions of General Conference--if I don't go into labor in the interim. If I do, hopefully I'll have enough warning to get to the hospital on time and, once I get there, hopefully they'll find someplace--a broom closet--or a stable--to put me.

How am I doing? A little frustrated, but what can you do? Babies come when they want to--even if you try to plan for them, apparently. As long as I don't start dreaming up fantastical emergency deliveries again, I'll be fine (the last one had me home alone and in the shower with Maggie and all of a sudden there's the baby being born...I really need to get a grip, I know...)

The boys are going to be very disappointed when they get home from school--they were expecting a new sister today.

7 comments:

~Jen~ said...

I'm sorry. I know that has to be really frustrating.

Tori said...

Oh man, El. This makes me so sad for you. I'll give you a call later tonight.

Lacey said...

On the plus side, you will have a very, very good excuse for not listening to conference uber attentively this year.

Emily said...

Elly, I'm sooo sorry. There is nothing more frustrating that thinking you were about to be done being pregnant only to find out that...you're not! I hope it all works out well and SOON!

Anonymous said...

That just bites! I am so sorry! What I am trying to figure out, is what in the heck was going on 9 months ago to cause quite a stir in the delivery rooms this week?? Something to contemplate...

Anonymous said...

Someday, this will make a great story for that little-one-in-the-tummy. I'm glad you wrote it down (although I doubt you'll ever forget it). I'm thinking this could only happen in Utah!

katharine said...

so sorry!! my last one was an elective induction too (i was on the waiting list), and i got a call at 5 am inviting me to come to the hospital. not my favorite way to do things, but anyway, they do come out eventually! (even if you're in the shower ;)